Error processing SSI file
Error processing SSI file

February 8th, 2011 Minutes

Virginia Racing Commission

MINUTES OF THE COMMISSION MEETING

HORSEMEN’S BUILDING
COLONIAL DOWNS
10700 HORSEMEN’S ROAD
NEW KENT, VA

In Attendance

Commission Members:
Peter C. Burnett, Chairman
Clinton Miller, Vice Chairman
Mark Brown
David Reynolds
Stuart Siegel

Commission Staff:
David S. Lermond, Jr., Acting Executive Secretary
Kimberly M. Carter, Office Administrator
C. Richard Harden, DVM, Equine Medical Director
Joseph M. Roney, Director of Security & Enforcement
Dennis E. West, Director of Operations

Attorney General’s Office:
Amy K. Dilworth
__________________________

At 9:34 a.m., the regular monthly meeting of the Virginia Racing Commission was called to order by Chairman Burnett.

Chairman Burnett opened the floor to nominations for the 2011 Chairman. Vice Chairman Miller moved to re-elect Peter Burnett as Chairman and to elect Mark Brown as Vice Chairman for 2011. There were no further nominations and Commissioner Miller’s motion, seconded by Commissioner Reynolds carried unanimously.

The minutes of the Virginia Racing Commission meeting held on December 15, 2010 were approved unanimously as corrected.

Based on the recommendation of Staff, Vice Chairman Brown moved to approve the Host Simulcast Tracks for 2011 as requested by Colonial Downs. The motion was seconded by Chairman Burnett and carried unanimously.

Acting Executive Secretary Lermond informed the Commission that the Thoroughbred portion of the Virginia Breeders Fund had a more than expected ending balance as of December 31, 2010 of approximately $525,000. Mr. Lermond went on to say that when the Commission approved the spending plan of the Thoroughbred portion of the Fund in March of 2010, part of the motion made was that if there was a significant difference in the amount available for year-end breeders’ awards, that the subcommittee would come back to the Commission with an amended proposal. Based on the recommendation of the subcommittee of the Thoroughbred portion of the Virginia Breeders Fund, Commissioner Reynolds moved to pay breeders’ awards in the amount of $300,000 and stallion awards of $25,000 for 2010, leaving a balance to be carried forward to 2011 of approximately $200,000. Commissioner Reynolds’ motion was seconded by Commissioner Miller and carried unanimously.

A lengthy discussion of the 2011 Thoroughbred race days ensued, which included comments made by representatives of the VaHBPA, Colonial Downs, and members of the Commission. Chairman Burnett moved to assign 40 days of Thoroughbred racing for 2011 with 80% of the $6,800,000 available purse money to be distributed in overnight races and the remaining 20% going towards stake races and that the other details, such as actual dates and post times, be determined at a special meeting to be held on February 24, 2011. Chairman Burnett’s motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Brown and carried unanimously.

After hearing comments made by representatives of Colonial Downs and the VHHA concerning the 2011 Standardbred race days, Vice Chairman Brown moved to assign 30 days of racing to be conducted over a seven week period of time with the actual dates and post times to be determined at the special meeting on February 24, 2011. Vice Chairman Brown’s motion was seconded by Chairman Burnett and carried unanimously.

Chairman Burnett moved to renew the advanced deposit account wagering licenses of EZ Horseplay, TVG, XpressBet, and Twinspires for 2011 with the six conditions as listed in the respective staff reports. Chairman Burnett’s motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Brown and carried unanimously.

There being no further business, Thursday, February 24, 2011 at 9:30 a.m. was set as the date and time of the next meeting to be held at the Horsemen’s Building, Colonial Downs, 10700 Horsemen’s Road, New Kent, VA. The meeting was then adjourned at 12:37 p.m.



 

 

Error processing SSI file