Frequently Asked Questions
- What is your mailing address?
5707 Huntsman Road
Richmond, VA 23250
- What is your fax number?
(804) 966-7417 Veterinarian
(804) 966-7418 Administration
(804) 966-7422 Permitting
- How much is a license to race in Virginia?
Fee Schedule PDF | Word | Text Version
- How often do I need fingerprints?
Every 5 years
- How do I get to the Virginia Racing Commission?
We are located on the backside of Colonial Downs near the stable gate.
- If I recently had fingerprints taken in another jurisdiction, do I still need to do fingerprints for Virginia?
We do accept reciprocity from other jurisdictions as long as you were printed by that jurisdiction in the past 5 years-see website for acceptable reciprocity states and our official form.
- Do I need to be fingerprinted after age 70?
No we do not require fingerprinting on individuals aged 70 and over.
- Do all owners in a stable, corporation, LLC, etc. need to be licensed?
Yes, all people owning 5% or more will need to be licensed. But only one person will need to pay the fee for the stable, corporation, LLC, etc.
- How do I get fingerprinted?
After receiving your application, a fingerprint card will be mailed to you. You can take the card to a police station or race track. You may want to call ahead and inquire if an appointment is needed. If you come to watch your horse race, The Virginia Racing Commission is located at the stable gate and you can be fingerprinted during your visit.
- When do I need to have the application process completed?
Within 30 days
- Can I submit my application electronically?
No. This option is not currently available.
- Do you get a one time start without a license?
No. You must have completed an application and all fees paid before your horse can race.
- Can I pay with a credit card?
No. Payment can be made by cash, check, or money order.
- Will I need to show proof of Worker’s Compensation?
Proof of Workmen’s Compensation is only needed if you have at least three or more employees working in Virginia.
- What should I do if I arrive at the track when The Virginia Racing Commission is closed?
Please obtain a temporary pass from the security gate at the stable gate and plan to obtain your permit as soon as the Commission opens. Commission hours are posted on door for the current month.
- What is the best way to overnight mail to The Virginia Racing Commission?
FedEx and UPS deliver once a day in the afternoon and the Post Office delivers Monday through Friday all year and on Saturdays during the racing seasons.
- What types of payment methods does The Virginia Racing Commission accept?
We accept cash, check or money order.
- Is there a separate form for stable names and multi-ownerships?
No, a space is provided on the application for individuals.
- Does The Virginia Racing Commission allow for a “one time free” pass when racing at Colonial Downs the first time in the either season?
No, at the minimum, each participant must have submitted a signed application and the appropriate fees before a horse can race. The participant has 30 days to supply a fingerprint card (a fingerprint card packet is mailed to the participant).
Failure to comply by VRC closing time will result in the horse being scratched and a possible fine. Failure to comply with the 30-day fingerprinting requirement will result in a participant’s indefinite suspension from all racing activities at Colonial Downs.
- Will I receive proof of my licensing?
If you are at Colonial Downs, you will receive a bar-coded picture badge to use while you are here.
If you mail your application in during the off-season, and all long as we have previously photographed you for a badge, you will receive a letter, a receipt and a badge. If we do not have a digital photo, you will receive a letter and a receipt.
If you mail in your application during either the thoroughbred season or the harness season, you will receive neither a badge or a receipt. Your check will serve as your receipt. If you need a badge during that time, please visit our office on any scheduled race day, as we will be open during that time during normal business hours.