Virginia Racing Commission

"" Agency

"" Meetings

"" Employment

"" Virginia Racing License

"" National Racing License

"" Racing Rules

"" Veterinary Forms and Info

"" Patron Complaints

"" FAQs

"" Our Links

"" Educational Materials

"" HHR Reports

"" Responsible Gaming Reports

"" Strategic Plan

"" FOIA Advisory Council

"" FOIA Requests

"" HISA Information

          Data Point Logo - Magnifying glass over the state of Virginia
View The Virginia Racing Commission's Expenditures

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is your mailing address?
    5707 Huntsman Road
    Suite 201-B
    Richmond, VA 23250

  2. How much is a license to race in Virginia?
    Please see the fee schedule

  3. How often do I need fingerprints?
    Every 5 years

  4. Do I need to be fingerprinted after age 70?
    No we do not require fingerprinting on individuals aged 70 and over.

  5. How do I get fingerprinted?
    You can go to your local police station, sheriff office, or race track to be fingerprinted. You may want to call ahead and inquire if an appointment is necessary and if you need to supply a FBI compatible fingerprint card. There is a $25 fee in order to process submitted fingerprint.

  6. How do I get to the Virginia Racing Commission?
    Our permanent address is 5707 Huntsman Road, Suite 201-B, Richmond, Virginia, 23250 and is located near the Richmond International Airport. When racing at Colonial Downs, we are located on backside near the stable gate.

  7. Do you accept fingerprints taken in another jurisdiction?
    No, we are no longer able to accept fingerprint reciprocity with other racing jurisdictions.

  8. Do all owners in a stable, corporation, LLC, etc. need to be licensed?
    Yes, anyone owning 5% or more in a horse or stable, corporation or LLC, is required to be licensed. Only one person needs to pay the fee for the stable, corporation, LLC, etc.

  9. When do I need to have the application process completed?
    You must be licensed before your horse races. You have 30 days from that day to provide us with a fingerprint card.

  10. Can I submit my application electronically?
    You are able to email your application to the licensing department. Please call 804-966-7400 for more information.

  11. Can I pay with a credit card?
    Yes. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discovery.

  12. Will I need to show proof of Worker’s Compensation?
    Proof of Workmen’s Compensation is only needed if you have at least three or more employees working in Virginia.

  13. What is the best way to overnight mail to The Virginia Racing Commission?
    FedEx and UPS

  14. What types of payment methods does The Virginia Racing Commission accept?
    We accept cash, check, money order and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard and Discovery)

  15. Is there a separate form for stable names and multi-ownerships?
    No, a space is provided on the application for individuals.

  16. Does The Virginia Racing Commission allow for a temporary licenses when racing for the first time?
    No, at the minimum, each participant must have submitted a signed application and the appropriate fees before a horse can race. The participant has 30 days to supply a fingerprint card.
    Failure to comply by VRC closing time will result in the horse being scratched and a possible fine. Failure to comply with the 30-day fingerprinting requirement will result in a participant's indefinite suspension from all racing activities in Virginia.

  17. Will I receive proof of my licensing?
    If you mail your application in during the off-season, and we have previously photographed you for a badge, you need to request a badge is mailed to you. If we do not have a digital photo and you would like a badge, please supply one in JPEG format. If you are at Colonial Downs during live racing, you will receive a badge from the licensing office.





Virginia Racing Commission, Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved 5707 Huntsman Road Suite 201-B, Richmond, Virginia, 23250 Web Policy | Contact Us | WAI Level A Compliant